Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Oh Happy Day

Unvictorious, washout, unavailing, futile. These are all describers of the way I sometimes feel as a 27-year-old college grad who is working as a hostess in a restaurant. Let's be honest, anyone who owes upwards of $20,000 in school loans could start to feel this way when surrounded by 19 and 20-year-old co-workers. I actually know a few college grads who are working at similar low-paying jobs and are perfectly happy. But this is not what I had envisioned for myself five years ago when I threw my cap up inside Anderson Arena.

Be that as it may, there is still hope for success. Everyone has a different mountain to climb. Some people are climbing a slippery slope and just stay in the same spot for years and never seem to make it up. Some people excavate their way to the center of their mountain and take an elevator to the top. (These people are very smart, but may be missing the point. You know the saying "you get what you give".) In the last 10 years, I have gotten to know my personal mountain very well, and have become dedicated and infatuated with "the climb". It can be patronizing to be in a job one is over-qulaified for and this is part of the struggle; over-coming the self-pride and ego. But, the most important thing is the all-important end goal. Keeping your eye on the prize is the only way to get there.

Remember the Little Engine That Could? "I think I can, I think I can", etc. . . This is the way I have often felt on the way to the top except it has actually been my Mother's words that have been my driving force. "Never forget your dreams, and always know you can be anything you want to be". I wonder if she'll ever know how important those words have been to me.

On my trek up the hill I have had a few ideas of "what I want to be when I grow up". I guess part of knowing that you can do anything you want makes it difficult to hone in on that one right thing. I happen to know a lot of people of my generation who have that same affliction. But finally after some trials, and important life lessons I find myself back in school to become a hairdresser. Anyone who knows the hair industry will tell you that the education part of it is all backwards. In most cases, you would go to school full-time for a year or so and then, if you work at a high-end salon, you would apprentice for another year in that salon. It really doesn't make sense. The only true reason you are paying $14-$16,000 for school is to be able to pass your state board test and become a "licensed" hair dresser. Problem is that just being licensed doesn't mean much to most of the really talented people out there. They know that being licensed doesn't mean you are good. And thus the reason for the apprenticeship in the salon. In essence I am saying that where you go to school is really not as important. More important is the in-salon training you receive which along with your drive and motivation will determine how good you really become.

Today I have reached a new destination in my climb. I was hired at The Salon to begin their apprentice program. The Salon is, from what I can tell, probably the most successful chain of salons in the Denver area. Directly attributed to their success is their rigorous 10-phase training program. The director of my school has told me to be prepared for 70 hour weeks while completing their program. It's tough to get through, but anything that's tough can only make you better. Someone in my position, who has been climbing for so long is literally salivating at the mouth for success. Don't think for a second that this girl isn't ready for any challenge, or any amount of hard work this apprenticeship might bring. I can see it, taste it, and wow the sense of triumph is staggering! This, people is my arrival.

So thank you Mom. And thanks to my best friend, and biggest supporter BenJammin. Thanks to my girlfriends who convinced me that I am not a loser whenever those questions entered my brain. Thanks to Ms. Aguilar who gave me a solid foundation to work from. And for anyone who forgot-you all have a mountain to climb. All you have to do is engage it. You don't have to be stuck in one gloomy spot. There is always another place to be, you have the whole mountain to explore!

No comments: